Good quality, unique content is a great way to maximise exposure on popular search engines such as Google. A blog allows you to express your opinion on any topic of your choice. It can also make your business more personable.
You can use blogging as a way to market or promote something which is happening within your company, for example an event, product or new service you’re offering, or to show people that you can write about a number of current topics with confidence. It can also help you stay on top of the key areas within your business.
The key to a good blog is to have passion and conviction about the topic you’re writing about. Your aim is to engage readers so that they are keen to learn more about you and your opinions. But successful blogging takes time and commitment, so if you’re not really sure how to pick a topic to blog about, follow my tips below:
• Choose a topic you feel passionate about – you will need to consistently update your blogs, so you want to make the process as enjoyable as possible. If you like the subject, the writing is more likely to flow, whereas a subject that bores you will quickly turn stale.
• Invite your readers to debate – ask questions to your intended audience, and if people leave a comment, be sure to respond to it promptly. The success of your blog section will depend on the type of readers you gain.
• Maintain objectivity on topics – there will always be people who disagree with your point of view. Embrace this and see it as an opportunity to enter into a friendly debate.
• Remain strong-minded and confident – don’t let a personal attack affect your blogging. Every so often someone might deeply object to your blog so you need to be prepared for this and not take it too personally. Never attack anyone in response to a blog, it could have bad repercussions for you and your business.
• Choose a topic you enjoy – good blogs need to be well thought out and provide fresh and meaningful content to readers. Try to keep up with current topics relating to your business and current affairs, so you have a well-rounded perspective and can keep your blog relevant and interesting.
Finally, start blogging as soon as you can. Blogging is a widely recognised form of social networking, and it is good to show that you are on top of it and willing to get involved. The more you blog, the more confidence you’ll gain. Good luck!